Friday, March 20, 2009

Surprise Field Trips

A few weeks ago, when I was really tired of winter, I invented a new tradition for the kids. After I picked Meghan and Anthony up from school one day I told them we were going on a surprise field trip and that they had to close their eyes on the way there. At first I thought the idea might backfire when they realized that we were just going to end up at a boring Rexburg destination that we had been to before. However, when we got to the Teton Flood Museum they were so excited. I guess just making it a surprise made it fun. We looked around at the museum exhibits and played in the children's school room. They were featuring Abraham Lincoln and had costumes from that time.
Anthony showing John a fun Monarch puppet.

Meghan playing with and old-fashioned metal lunch pail.

Look Mom, it's a skunk!

Julia dressed as a pioneer.

Other surprise field trips have included playing at the new Arctic Circle play zone and visiting the Standard Journal (to pick up roll ends for the Primary Activity). I am now officially out of destination ideas until it gets a little warmer (there aren't that many exciting things to do in Rexburg).

1 comment:

Jacilynn said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to steal it. My kids always want to get out of the house, plus I need to be more spontaneous.